- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Eight 3/4-inch-thick slices of white bread ( 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Granny Smith apples (1 pound)—peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
How to make this recipe
- In a shallow glass dish, beat the eggs with the skim milk, vanilla and nutmeg. Add the bread, turn to coat and let soak for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the apples and 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup and cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until softened and lightly caramelized, about 8 minutes. Add the cinnamon and the remaining 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and simmer for 1 minute; keep warm.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon of butter and 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and cook half of the bread until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining butter, oil and bread. Halve the slices of French toast on the diagonal and stack on plates. Top with the apples and serve.
One Serving 501 calories, 13.4 gm total fat, 5.2 gm saturated fat, 85 gm carb.