- 1 medium French baguette, ends discarded, cut diagonally into twenty-four
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup premium vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pure maple syrup, for serving
- Assorted fresh berries, halved if large, for serving
In a large nonreactive baking dish, spread out half of the bread slices. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, ice cream, orange juice, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg and pour over the bread. Turn the slices and soak until saturated, about 5 minutes.
Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large cast-iron skillet. Add the soaked bread slices and cook in a single layer over moderately low heat, turning once, until golden brown and heated through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm. Soak the remaining bread and cook in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Serve with maple syrup and fresh berries.