French Press Brewed Coffee
- TOTAL TIME: 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 2
A French press makes full-flavored coffee with a rich body. Here, Michael Phillips, of Los Angeles’s Handsome Coffee Roasters, gives his method for using one; it requires a French press, burr grinder and kitchen scale.
- 40 grams whole coffee beans
- 600 grams water, plus more for preheating
- In a burr grinder set to a coarse grind size, grind the coffee beans. Heat the water until it reaches 206° on an instant-read thermometer; alternatively, bring the water to a boil, then let stand for 1 minute.
- Pour some of the hot water into the French press to preheat it. Discard the preheating water.
- Pour the ground coffee into the French press. Place the French press on a kitchen scale and set the scale to zero. Pour 600 grams of the hot water into the French press, thoroughly saturating the coffee grounds. Let stand for 1 minute. Quickly stir the steeping coffee to break up the cap of grounds floating on top. Cover the French press with its top, without pressing the filter down, and let stand for 3 minutes longer.
- Very slowly push the filter down until it is fully depressed. Pour the coffee into cups, leaving the dregs in the French press.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.