- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 medium shallot, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces pancetta, sliced 1/8 inch thick and cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 1 pound fregola
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Four 3-inch stalks of hearts of palm, quartered lengthwise and sliced crosswise into 1/4 inch thick
- Snipped chives, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- In a blender, combine the canola oil with the vinegar, olive oil, honey, lemon juice, thyme, mustard and shallot and blend until smooth. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- In a medium skillet, cook the pancetta over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp, 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a paper towel-lined plate. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat in the skillet.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the fregola, stirring, until al dente, 15 minutes. Drain the fregola, rinse under cold water and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, add the corn to the pancetta fat in the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 minutes. Add the corn to the fregola.
- Add the tomatoes, hearts of palm and pancetta to the bowl and toss gently. Add the vinaigrette and toss again. Season the fregola salad with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large serving bowl, sprinkle with the snipped chives and serve.
Published October 2012