- 1 1/4 cups medium fregola (1/2 pound)
- 1/2 cup green Sicilian olives (4 ounces), pitted and cut into slivers
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons drained small capers
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 small blood oranges
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Shredded orange zest, for garnish
How to make this recipe
Cook the <em>fregola</em> in a medium saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 9 minutes. Drain well in a colander, shaking off the excess water. Let stand for 15 minutes, shaking the colander occasionally to dry the grains.
In a large bowl, toss the olives with the onion, capers, lemon juice and olive oil. Add the <em>fregola</em> and toss to coat.
Using a sharp knife, peel the oranges, removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over the bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections. Squeeze the juice from the membranes into the salad, season with salt and white pepper and let stand for 10 minutes to blend the flavors. Scatter the orange zest over the top and serve.
The salad can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated for up to 4 hours.