Fragrant South Indian Beef Curry
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This warming curry has a good bit of heat to it; serve with lots of rice to round out the meal.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 12 fresh curry leaves or 2 bay leaves
- 6 garlic cloves, grated
- 4 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste dissolved in 1/2 cup of water
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 small dried hot chiles
- 4 star anise pods
- Two 3-inch cinnamon sticks
- 1 3/4 pounds boneless beef short ribs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- In a medium enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and curry leaves and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in the dissolved tomato paste along with the coriander, garam masala, cayenne, turmeric, dried chiles, star anise and cinnamon sticks. Add the ribs, season with salt and stir until coated with spices. Cover partially and cook over very low heat until the meat is tender, about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Spoon off as much fat as possible and discard the star anise, cinnamon sticks and bay leaves, if using.
The beef curry can be refrigerated overnight.Serve With
Spiced, dark-berried red.