- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 heads cauliflower (4 pounds), cut into 1 1/2-inch florets
- 2 medium onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- One 4-inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups frozen baby peas
How to make this recipe
- In a very large, deep skillet, melt the butter. Add the cauliflower and cook over moderately high heat until browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the turmeric, cumin seeds, cayenne and cinnamon stick and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomato puree and the water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over moderately low heat until the cauliflower is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the peas and cook uncovered over moderate heat until the sauce is thick, about 5 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick and season the cauliflower with salt and pepper. Transfer the cauliflower to a bowl and serve hot or warm.
The cauliflower in tomato sauce can be refrigerated overnight.