Fragrant Butterflied Shrimp
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
At Amarvilas Resort and Spa in India, these twice-marinated butterflied shrimp are baked in the searing heat of a tandoori oven.
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Paste
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp—shelled, deveined and butterflied
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- In a small skillet, toast the chickpea flour over moderate heat, stirring, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Scrape the flour onto a plate and let cool.
- In a shallow dish, combine the Garlic Paste, Ginger Paste, lemon juice, oil and a pinch of salt. Add the shrimp, turn to coat and refrigerate for 10 minutes. In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt, lime and lemon zests, garam masala, pepper, cayenne, turmeric and chickpea flour. Add the shrimp and refrigerate for 45 minutes longer.
- Preheat the broiler. Thread the shrimp onto four 10-inch skewers. Broil 2 skewers about 3 inches from the heat, rotating the pan, for 3 minutes, or until the shrimp are just cooked through. Repeat with the remaining 2 skewers and serve.
A light, delicate and refreshing Italian Pinot Grigio with crisp, tangy fruit will accent the tart and spicy flavors in the marinade.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.