- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Paste
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp—shelled, deveined and butterflied
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
How to make this recipe
In a small skillet, toast the chickpea flour over moderate heat, stirring, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Scrape the flour onto a plate and let cool.
In a shallow dish, combine the Garlic Paste, Ginger Paste, lemon juice, oil and a pinch of salt. Add the shrimp, turn to coat and refrigerate for 10 minutes. In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt, lime and lemon zests, garam masala, pepper, cayenne, turmeric and chickpea flour. Add the shrimp and refrigerate for 45 minutes longer.
Preheat the broiler. Thread the shrimp onto four 10-inch skewers. Broil 2 skewers about 3 inches from the heat, rotating the pan, for 3 minutes, or until the shrimp are just cooked through. Repeat with the remaining 2 skewers and serve.
Chickpea flour, or besan, is available at Indian and Italian groceries and at health food markets. Garam masala is available at many supermarkets and at Indian markets.
A light, delicate and refreshing Italian Pinot Grigio with crisp, tangy fruit will accent the tart and spicy flavors in the marinade.