- 1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried green peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon wasabi powder
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 1/2 pounds tri-tip steak, in one piece
How to make this recipe
- Light a charcoal grill. In a mortar or spice grinder, coarsely grind the peppercorns; transfer to a bowl and stir in the salt. In another bowl, whisk the soy sauce with the wasabi and sesame oil to make a paste. Spread the wasabi paste over the steak and sprinkle with the pepper, gently pressing it into the meat.
- Grill the steak over moderately high heat, turning once, 10 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a carving board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak against the grain and serve.
People typically think of steak and Cabernet as perfect partners (usually true), but this variation on steak au poivre is so aromatic, it actually goes better with a Malbec.