Four Pea Salad with Scallops
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The wonderful, playful twist here is the topping of spicy, crunchy, crushed wasabi peas.
More Terrific Salads
- 3/4 cup packed mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 pound snow peas, trimmed
- 1/4 pound sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1/2 pound pea shoots or 2 bunches watercress, thick stems removed (4 packed cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
- 1/4 cup wasabi peas, lightly crushed
- In a blender, puree the mint leaves, lemon juice and 6 tablespoons of the oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil and fill a medium bowl with ice water. Add the snow peas and sugar snap peas to the boiling water and cook until crisp-tender, 1 1/2 minutes. Drain the peas and transfer to the ice water to cool. Drain and pat dry. Transfer to a large bowl and add the pea shoots.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil until almost smoking. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until deeply browned, 3 minutes. Flip the scallops and cook until white throughout, 1 minute longer. Transfer to a plate.
- Add all but 1 tablespoon of the dressing to the peas, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Transfer the salad to plates. Add the scallops and the remaining dressing to the bowl and toss. Arrange the scallops on the salad and sprinkle with the wasabi peas.