- 2 tablespoons ghee (see Note)
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 cups forbidden black rice (14 ounces), rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon green cardamom pods, cracked
- Sea salt
- Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, heat the ghee. Add the shallot and ginger and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and cardamom and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 3 cups of water and a generous pinch of sea salt and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let steam for 15 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and season with salt. Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with sliced scallions and serve.
Ghee is a type of clarified butter that's available at Indian markets and Whole Foods, and on amazon.com.