- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening or lard
- 3/4 cup warm water
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt for 20 seconds. Pinch vegetable shortening into the flour mixture or use a pastry cutter until incorporated. The mixture will be crumbly.
- Start with 3/4 cup of water and mix into the flour mixture to form a semi-smooth dough ball. If necessary, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough binds together into a semi-smooth ball (dough should form easily into a ball but not be sticky). Knead 15 times or until ball is smooth. Let dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Pinch off 1-inch balls of dough. Form into tight balls, and then flatten into fat discs. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface or between two sheets of plastic wrap, roll a dough ball to 1/8-inch thick by 6-8-inches in diameter (or press flat in a tortilla press).
- Heat a griddle, comal (a smooth rounded griddle) or large skillet over medium heat. Place the raw tortilla on the pan and cook until it puffs and starts to brown, about 30 seconds, flip over, press down with a spatula, and then cook for another 30 seconds, or until the second side is browned.
- Place tortilla on a plate and cover with a towel. Repeat with the remaining dough balls.