- 5 cups basil leaves, packed (3 1/2 ounces)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Four 6- to 7-ounce flounder or sole fillets
- 1 small zucchini, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
In a food processor, combine the basil, garlic, Parmesan and 2/3 cup of olive oil and process to a puree. Scrape the pesto into a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
Lay the fish fillets on a work surface, boned side down. Season the fillets with salt and pepper and place an equal amount of the zucchini and red pepper strips across the narrow end of each fillet. Tightly roll up the fillets and secure them with toothpicks. Season the rolls with salt and pepper and lightly drizzle them all over with olive oil.
Lightly oil a large steamer basket and place it in a large saucepan over 1/2 inch of boiling water. Put the rolls in the steamer basket, cover and steam over moderately high heat until just cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer the rolls to plates, spoon some of the pesto alongside and serve.