- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup pure olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 habanero chile, seeded and chopped
- 5 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 16 jumbo shrimp, deveined
How to make this recipe
- Light a grill. In a small saucepan, combine the garlic and 1/2 cup of the olive oil and simmer over low heat until the garlic is golden brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer the garlic to a blender and pour the oil into a glass measuring cup. Let the oil cool slightly. Add the habanero chile to the blender with 1/4 cup of the cilantro, the lime juice and honey and puree. With the blender on, slowly add the garlic olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the shrimp with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over a hot fire until lightly charred, about 4 minutes per side. Shell the shrimp and transfer to plates. Drizzle with the vinaigrette, sprinkle with the remaining cilantro and serve.
The chiles in this vinaigrette will overwhelm most wines. Instead, try a rebujito, the cocktail of choice during the local ferias, or street fairs, in southern Spain. Splash a couple of ounces of fino sherry in a glass, then add 7-Up and ice. It's low in alcohol, refreshing and delicious.