Flatiron Steak Salad with Thai Dressing
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
"This is the dish that I make to show wine geeks what beer can do with food," says Sang Yoon of this tender, grilled Thai beef salad with its alluring citrus-and-soy dressing. "I love the acidity of the lime juice and fish sauce in Thai food. Those high-pitched flavors are impossible with wine, but a silky-smooth Belgian beer like Tripel Karmeliet allows them to come through. I serve this salad to my sommelier friends and say, 'Put your Riesling away.'"
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, quartered
- 1/2 serrano chile, seeded and coarsely chopped
- One 1/2-inch piece of peeled fresh ginger, coarsely chopped (about 1/2 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound flatiron steak or top blade steak, about 1 inch thick
- 2 heads of baby romaine, leaves separated (and torn if large)
- 3/4 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium cucumber—peeled, halved, seeded and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- Light a grill. In a blender, combine the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil with the lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, garlic, chile, ginger and sugar and puree. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Brush the steak with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat until the meat is charred outside and medium-rare within, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a work surface and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss the romaine with the cherry tomatoes, cucumber, onion, scallions, basil and cilantro leaves. Pour two-thirds of the dressing over the salad and toss. Divide among 4 plates. Slice the steak 1/3 inch thick across the grain and serve alongside the salad. Pass the remaining dressing at the table.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.