Flatbreads with Herb-Roasted Tomatoes
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Will Torres first grills his flatbreads for great charred flavor, then finishes by cooking in the oven at the last minute. The herbed tomato topping is made by slow-roasting sliced tomatoes on a thick bed of fresh herbs.
- 1 bunch of thyme
- 1 bunch of oregano
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 tomatoes (1 1/2 pounds), sliced 1/3-inch thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 pounds onions, thinly sliced
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 pound pizza dough, divided into 4 equal pieces
- 1/4 pound nduja (see Note) or thinly sliced spicy salami or chorizo
- 1/2 pound firm aged sheep-milk cheese, shredded
- 1 small bunch of arugula, thick stems discarded
- Red wine vinegar and fleur de sel, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the herbs and garlic on the paper and arrange the tomatoes on top in a single layer. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 1 1/2 hours, until the tomatoes are soft; discard the herbs. Increase the oven temperature to 450°.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt the butter. Stir in the onions and sugar. Cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until the onions are golden in spots, 10 minutes. Uncover and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the onions are deep brown, 7 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Light a grill. On a floured work surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out each piece of dough into an 8-inch round. Grill each round until bubbles appear on the surface, 2 minutes, then flip and cook until golden and slightly puffed, 2 minutes longer. Transfer the flatbreads to 2 baking sheets.
- Spread the flatbreads with the nduja. Top with the tomatoes, onions and cheese. Bake for 7 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Top with the arugula and a sprinkling of olive oil, vinegar and fleur de sel.
Pair with a spicy or dark-berried Cabernet Sauvignon.