- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 tablespoon minced dill
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 pound green beans
- 3/4 pound yellow wax beans
- 2 shallots, sliced into rings
- Dill and parsley sprigs, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a blender, combine the egg with the lemon zest and juice, Dijon mustard, garlic and water and puree until smooth. With the machine on, drizzle in the vegetable oil and 3/4 cup of the olive oil until emulsified. Scrape the aioli into a bowl and stir in the minced chives and dill. Season the aioli with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the green and yellow beans until they are just crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and cool under running water; pat thoroughly dry.
- Light a grill and put a perforated grill pan on it to heat. In a large bowl, toss the beans with the shallots and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Spread the beans on the grill pan and grill over high heat until lightly charred on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Toss and grill for 30 seconds longer. Transfer the beans to a bowl and garnish with dill and parsley sprigs. Serve with the aioli.
The aioli can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.