Flash-Cooked Shrimp Seviche with Popcorn
- SERVINGS: 6
In Ecuador, the most popular version of this delightful seviche-style salad is typically made with conchas negras—black clams—and Seville orange juice. Usually served as a snack, it is often accompanied by popcorn or plantain chips.
More Amazing Shrimp Recipes
- 1 pound medium shrimp
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 6 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 fresh cayenne chiles or jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- Salted popcorn, for serving
- In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the shrimp just until they begin to curl, about 1 minute. Drain and let cool slightly, then peel and devein. Cut the shrimp into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a heatproof bowl, toss the onion with 2 teaspoons of salt; let stand for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of boiling water, let stand for 10 minutes and drain well.
- In a large glass bowl, toss the onion with the tomatoes, garlic, chiles, red and green bell peppers, cilantro and orange and lime juices. Stir in the shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Season the seviche with salt and pepper and serve chilled with a bowl of popcorn passed alongside.