Flash-Cooked Seviche with Mushrooms and Avocado
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/2 pound cleaned medium squid, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch rings
- 3/4 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1/2 pound small white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 navel oranges
- 2 firm, ripe Hass avocados, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- Bring 2 medium saucepans of salted water to a strong boil. Add the squid to 1 saucepan and the shrimp to the other and boil until just cooked, about 1 minute for the squid and 3 minutes for the shrimp. Drain the squid and shrimp and immediately transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain again and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, mix the lemon juice with the peanut oil, parsley, cilantro, garlic and jalapeño. Add the mushrooms, shrimp and squid. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until chilled, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, peel the oranges, removing all the bitter white pith. Working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections. Squeeze the juice from the membranes over the chilled seviche.
- Arrange the orange sections and avocado wedges around the edge of a platter. Using a slotted spoon, spread the seviche in the center. Spoon some of the marinade over the oranges and avocados and serve immediately.
Beer: A bright, light Caribbean beer, such as Red Stripe from Jamaica or Banks Lager from Barbados, will contrast the spiciness and acidity here.