Flank Steak with Garlic and Ginger
- SERVINGS: 10
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 head of garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped thyme
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- Two 2-pound flank steaks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Stewed Tomatoes with Ginger
- In a large glass or ceramic baking pan, combine the soy sauce with the olive oil, garlic, ginger, thyme, hot sauce and bay leaf. Add the flank steaks and turn them in the marinade to coat, then cover the baking pan and refrigerate the steaks for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the broiler. Transfer the steaks to a plate. Discard the marinade from the baking pan; scrape the marinade off the steaks. Season them with salt and pepper. Set the steaks on a baking sheet and broil about 6 inches from the heat for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Let the steaks rest at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes. Thinly slice the steaks and serve with Stewed Tomatoes with Ginger.
Try a Gigondas from the southern Rhône. The gamy Syrah grapes make it big enough to stand up to the grilled meat.