Flaky Turnover Pastry
- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: makes enough pastry for 3 1/2 dozen 4-inch turnovers
This extremely flaky pastry is well worth the effort, but if you prefer, you can substitute store-bought puff pastry in the Roasted Winter Squash and Onion Turnovers. If you do, cut the puff-pastry sheets into 4-inch squares, fill them and fold them into triangles.
Plus: Dessert Recipes and Tips
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 sticks (1 pound) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 3/4 cup ice water
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- In a food processor, pulse the flour with the salt. Add the butter and pulse until it is the size of large peas. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the ice water with the egg and vinegar. Add the liquid to the well and stir it into the butter-flour mixture. Using your hands, gather the dough and knead it in the bowl several times, until it is evenly moistened. Divide the pastry in half and flatten it into 2 disks. Wrap them with plastic and chill until firm.