Flaky Pie Pastry
- SERVINGS: MAKES ENOUGH FOR ONE 9-INCH DOUBLE CRUST PIE
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 5 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in 5 tablespoons of the water, until just moistened. If the dough seems dry, stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of water.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 3 times. Divide the dough into 2 pieces, pat into 6-inch disks, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
Make AheadThe dough can be refrigerated for 1 day or frozen for 1 month.