Flaky Pie Dough
- SERVINGS: Makes enough for one 9-inch pie shell
Allow at least four hours for the dough to chill before rolling it out.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- In a food processor, pulse the flour with the salt. Add the butter and shortening and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal with some pieces the size of peas. Drizzle in the ice water and pulse just until small clumps form. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead gently a few times. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap well in plastic and chill until firm.
Make Ahead The dough can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen.