- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 stick (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons ice water
- In a food processor, combine the flour and salt. Add the shortening and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the butter and pulse several times, until the butter is the size of small peas. Sprinkle evenly with the ice water and pulse just until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead lightly once or twice. Divide the dough in half; pat each half into a 6-inch disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes or overnight.
The pastry can be frozen for up to 1 month.