Flaky Currant Scones
- SERVINGS: MAKES 1 DOZEN 2-INCH SCONES
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk, plus more for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large bowl, mix the flour with the sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the currants. Add the egg and 1/2 cup of milk and stir with a fork just until the dough comes together. Do not overmix.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently pat the dough into a 3/4-inch-thick slab. Using a 2-inch fluted biscuit cutter, cut out 12 rounds, rerolling the dough as needed.
- Lightly dust a baking sheet with flour. Transfer the scones to the sheet and lightly brush the tops with milk. Bake the scones for 15 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.