Five-Vegetable Stir-Fry with Lentils
- SERVINGS: 4
A dinner of Brussels sprouts, turnips, carrots, and lentils may sound more like a punishment than a treat, but believe us—the combination is delicious. In fact, the general effect is actually rather delicate.
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 3 1/3 cups water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 4 scallions including green tops, chopped
- 2 turnips, peeled, quartered, and sliced thin
- 3 carrots, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced
- 1 10-ounce package frozen cut green beans
- In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils, 2 cups of the water, and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, partially covered, until the lentils are just tender but not falling apart, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain if necessary, cover, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick frying pan or a wok, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderately high heat. Add half of the ginger and scallions and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the turnips and carrots and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of the water, 3/4 teaspoon of the salt, and the vinegar. Boil until the vegetables are tender and no liquid remains in the pan, about 10 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl.
- In the same pan, melt the butter with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over moderately high heat. Add the remaining ginger and scallions and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the green beans and the remaining 1/3 cup of water and 1 teaspoon salt. Reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the carrot mixture and the drained lentils and toss gently to combine.
Here's a tip: When confronted with a wine list full of unknowns, look for an Alsace Pinot Blanc. It will go with almost anything, including this unusual stir-fry.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.