Five-Spice Roasted Chicken
- SERVINGS: 4
Ming Tsai, chef and owner of Blue Ginger, outside Boston, cuts his aromatic roasted chicken into eight easy-to-eat pieces and serves it with his tasty Asian Sweet Potato Salad
Plus: More Chicken Recipes and Tips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- One 4-pound chicken, rinsed and dried
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 550°. In a small bowl, combine the oil with the garlic and five-spice powder; rub all over the chicken. Set the bird in a roasting pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the chicken for about 15 minutes, or until the skin is browned. Reduce the oven temperature to 325°, cover the chicken loosely with foil and cook until the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a fork, about 1 hour. Let the chicken cool slightly, then carve it into 8 pieces and serve.
Make AheadThe roasted chicken can be refrigerated overnight. Let return to room temperature before serving.