- SERVINGS: 4
These sweet-and-spicy melons make a wonderful and unexpected dessert.
- 1/4 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon pink peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon whole allspice
- Two 2-pound ripe cantaloupes, halved crosswise and seeded
- Mint sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- Combine all the peppercorns with the allspice in a spice grinder or a mortar and finely grind them.
- Using a soupspoon or melon baller, scoop out the melon flesh without cutting through the rind. Replace the flesh in the melon halves and sprinkle each with about 1/4 teaspoon of the spice mix. Garnish with mint sprigs and serve.
An aromatic Jurançon from the foothills of the Pyrenees, with hints of peaches, acidity and sweetness will mirror the melons' flavor and soften their sweetness.