Five-Spice Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Walnut Toffee
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 10 to 12 servings
- 6 pounds orange sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Crunchy Walnut Toffee, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Spread the sweet potato chunks in two 9-by-13-inch baking dishes. Add 1 cup of water to each dish, cover with foil and bake for about 25 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are barely tender. Pour off any remaining water from the baking dishes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar with the butter, five-spice powder and nutmeg and cook over moderate heat until the butter is melted and the mixture is bubbling, about 4 minutes. Pour the mixture over the potatoes, stir to coat and season with salt. Bake for about 10 minutes, basting a few times, until the potatoes are tender and nicely glazed. Sprinkle the walnut toffee over the potatoes and serve.
Pinot Noir's balance of crisp fruit, light spiciness and moderate tannins makes it very versatileideal with all the big flavors in this Thanksgiving menu.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.