Five-Spice Chicken Salad in Wonton Shells
- SERVINGS: makes 4 dozen
At Creative Edge Parties Caterers in New York City, Asian-flavored chicken salad is served in simple baked wonton wrapper shells. Wonton wrappers are available in the produce department or freezer section of most supermarkets.
- 48 wonton wrappers, thawed if frozen
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large whole skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 medium navel orange
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Trim the wonton wrappers to form 2-inch squares. Coat a nonstick mini-muffin tin with cooking spray and press a wonton square into each cup. Lightly coat the squares with cooking spray and bake for about 7 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool in the pan. Repeat the process with the remaining wrappers and more cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the five-spice powder and salt and sprinkle on both sides of the chicken breast. Transfer the chicken to a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for about 18 minutes, or until cooked through. Let the chicken cool and cut into 1/4-inch dice.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from half the orange, leaving behind the bitter white pith. Cut the zest into very thin 1-inch-long strips. Measure 1 packed teaspoon of julienned zest and discard the rest. Using a sharp knife, peel the rest of the orange, removing all the white pith. Working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections. Cut the sections into 1/4-inch dice. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the accumulated orange juice.
- In a medium bowl, combine the diced orange with the shallot, reserved orange juice, rice wine vinegar, honey and olive oil. Gently stir in the chicken, half of the orange zest and half of the cilantro.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons of the chicken salad into each wonton shell. Garnish with the remaining orange zest and cilantro and serve.
The wonton shells can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
The chicken salad can stand at room temperature for 2 hours.Notes Five-spice powder is available at Asian markets.