Fisherman's Stew with Green Chile & Collard Greens
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 6 to 8
Nicolaus Balla pays homage to the freshwater fish soups of eastern Europe using American ingredients like sturgeon, collards and hen-of-the-woods mushrooms. He adds a good dose of heat with New Mexican Hatch green chile. “It’s the best American chile I’ve tasted,” he says.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 fennel bulbs—halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 serrano chiles, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons Hatch green chile powder (see Note)
- 1/2 pound small collard greens, stems discarded and leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 quart fish stock or bottled clam juice
- 1 pound Green Zebra tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 ounces hen-of-the-woods mushrooms, separated into bite-size pieces
- 2 pounds skinless sturgeon or halibut fillet, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges and crusty bread, for serving
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, fennel, leek, garlic and chiles and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 15 minutes.
- Add the anchovy paste and chile powder to the casserole and cook, stirring, until the anchovy dissolves, about 3 minutes. Stir in the collard greens and cook until just wilted, about 3 minutes. Add the fish stock and 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Stir in the tomatoes and mushrooms and simmer over moderately low heat until the collards are just tender and the tomatoes start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the fish and simmer until just cooked through, about 7 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Ladle the stew into bowls and serve with lemon wedges and crusty bread.
Apple-scented, full-bodied Chardonnay: 2011 Scribe
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.