Fish Wrapped in Rice Paper
- SERVINGS: 4
Serve these slightly spicy fish bundles on a bed of steamed spinach. Brush any leftover ginger paste on grilled pork.
- 1/2 cup candied ginger in heavy syrup, drained (See Note)
- 1 chipotle chile packed in adobo, seeded and minced (See Note)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup fresh carrot juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- Four 9-inch rice paper wrappers (See Note)
- 1 learge egg white, beaten with 2 tablespoons warm water
- Four 4-ounce white-fleshed fish fillets with skin, such as striped bass, about 3/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- In a mini-processor, process the ginger, chipotle, garlic and soy sauce into a paste. In a nonreactive saucepan, boil the orange and carrot juices over high heat until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 15 minutes. Stir in the cornstarch and simmer until thickened. Stir in 1 teaspoon of the ginger paste and keep warm.
- Brush the rice paper wrappers on both sides with the egg white; let stand until pliable, about 2 minutes. Season the lightly with salt, brush the flesh of each with 1 teaspoon of the ginger paste and top with the cilantro. Set the fish, skin sides up, on the wrappers and fold up the sides like an envelope to enclose the fish.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Coat a smooth-bottomed nonstick ovenproof skillet with vegetable cooking spray and heat. Add the fish packets, seam sides down, and cook over moderate heat until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes. Spray the packets, turn and cook until golden, about 3 minutes. Turn the packets seam sides down and bake in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the fish is firm when pressed. Make a pool of carrot sauce on 4 plates, set a fish packet on each and serve.
Candied ginger in heavy syrup, chipotle chile packed in adobe and rice paper wrappers are available at specialty food stores.
One Serving Calories 327 kcal, Protein 27.5 gm, Carbohydrate 50 gm, Cholesterol 42 mg, Total Fat 2.5 gm, Saturated Fat 0.4 gm.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.