Fish Tacos with Creamy Lime Guacamole and Cabbage Slaw
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
Fish tacos are a staple among California surfers but are often beer-battered and fried. Kerry Simon's healthier, grilled version of fish tacos enriches the guacamole with low-fat sour cream.
- 2 Hass avocados—halved, pitted and peeled
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small head of napa cabbage, shredded (4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 pounds thick red snapper fillets with skin, cut crosswise into ten 2-inch-wide strips
- Ten 7-inch flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Light a grill. In a medium bowl, mash the avocados, sour cream, jalapeño, red onion, cilantro and 3 tablespoons of the lime juice. Season the guacamole with salt and pepper and press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the guacamole.
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and the remaining 2 tablespoons of lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the fish with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat until lightly charred and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer the fish to a platter and pull off the skin.
- To assemble each taco, spread a dollop of guacamole on a tortilla. Top with a piece of fish, a few tomato slices and a large spoonful of the cabbage slaw. Serve with the hot sauce and lime wedges.
Fish tacos automatically bring to mind California and Mexico's Pacific Coast. Go for a coastal Chardonnay as a matchcool ocean winds tend to give grapes good acidity, creating tangy wines that are delicious with creamy guacamole. The focused, lemony 2005 Ramey Sonoma Coast is a great choice, as is the peachy 2006 Cambria Katherine's Vineyard.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.