- SERVINGS: 12 TACOS
For these sophisticated tacos, it's worth tracking down the delicious organic corn tortillas that are available at health food stores.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless meaty fish fillets, such as snapper, bass, tilefish or cod, cut lengthwise into 1-inch strips
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 corn tortillas
- Mild salsa, lime wedges, shredded lettuce and diced avocado, tomato and onion, for serving
- In a large nonreactive skillet, warm the oil over moderately high heat. Add the fish and cook until whitened but still opaque in the center, about 2 minutes per side. Add the onion and garlic, reduce the heat to moderate and cook, stirring, until the onion is wilted and the fish breaks into large flakes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt 1/2 teaspoon of the butter over moderately high heat. Add 1 tortilla and flip it to coat with butter. Cook the tortilla until blistered and lightly toasted, 1 minute per side. Repeat with the remaining butter and tortillas; wrap the tortillas in foil to keep warm.
- Gently reheat the fish mixture and transfer it to a serving dish. Put all the accompaniments in small bowls and let guests assemble their own tacos.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.