- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: Makes about 9 cups
Fish fumet is an easy, elegant stock that can be used as a base for many fish or shellfish dishes.
Quick Shellfish Recipes
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds fish heads and bones, rinsed
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- One 750-milliliter bottle dry white wine
- 1 bunch parsley stems
- In a pot, heat the oil. Add the fish bones and the leek, onion and fennel and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the vegetables are just tender, 15 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Cook over moderately high heat until reduced by half, 20 minutes. Add 8 cups of water and the parsley stems and simmer over moderate heat for 30 minutes. Strain the broth and season lightly with salt.
The stock can be frozen for up to 2 months.