- 2 pounds skinless cod fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 2 Fresno chiles, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped curly parsley
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons za’atar
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon za’atar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Canola oil
- 8 top-split hot dog buns (preferably brioche) and Kohlrabi Slaw (see Note)
How to make this recipe
Make the kofta
In a food processor, pulse the fish until chopped and chunky. Scrape into a bowl, add all of the remaining ingredients and mix well. Form into eight 6-inch-long cylinders and refrigerate on a parchment-lined baking sheet for at least 30 minutes.
Make the glaze
In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients except the canola oil, buns and slaw.
Light a grill. Brush the kofta with 2 tablespoons of canola oil. Grill over moderate heat until golden, about 8 minutes. Cover and grill over low heat, brushing with the glaze and turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 15 minutes more. Serve the kofta in the hot dog buns, topped with the kohlrabi slaw.
Use this recipe for kohlrabi slaw.