© Zubin Schroff
Fish Curry with Green Mango
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
The green (unripe) mango adds a sour element to Maya Kaimal's favorite fish curry.
- 1 cup finely grated dried unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 16 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds swordfish steaks (1 inch thick), skinned and cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup slivered green mango with skin
- 1 serrano or Thai chile, thinly sliced
- In a food processor or blender, combine the coconut, onion and 8 of the curry leaves with the coriander, cayenne and turmeric. Add 1/2 cup of the water and process to a paste.
- In a large deep skillet, combine the coconut paste and salt with the remaining 1/2 cup of water. Add the swordfish in a single layer and bring to a boil. Add the mango, chile and the remaining 8 curry leaves. Gently turn each piece of fish and simmer over low heat until just cooked through, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Make Ahead The coconut paste can stand at room temperature for 3 hours. Serve With Boiled rice.
A round-textured, ripe-flavored California Chardonnay would provide the ideal fruity backdrop.