Fish Curry with Green Mango
- SERVINGS: 4
The green (unripe) mango adds a sour element to Maya Kaimal's favorite fish curry.
- 1 cup finely grated dried unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 16 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds swordfish steaks (1 inch thick), skinned and cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup slivered green mango with skin
- 1 serrano or Thai chile, thinly sliced
- In a food processor or blender, combine the coconut, onion and 8 of the curry leaves with the coriander, cayenne and turmeric. Add 1/2 cup of the water and process to a paste.
- In a large deep skillet, combine the coconut paste and salt with the remaining 1/2 cup of water. Add the swordfish in a single layer and bring to a boil. Add the mango, chile and the remaining 8 curry leaves. Gently turn each piece of fish and simmer over low heat until just cooked through, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
A round-textured, ripe-flavored California Chardonnay would provide the ideal fruity backdrop.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.