- 1 1/2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 2 ounces water
- 1 1/2 ounces Pimm’s No. 1 (gin-based aperitif)
- 1 ounce St. George Dry Rye Gin
- 3/4 ounce Ginger Syrup (see Note)
- 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
- 3 drops of Cayenne Extract
- 3/4 ounce chilled club soda
- 1 cucumber spear, for garnish
- 1 mint sprig, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- Make the cayenne extract In a liquid measuring cup, stir the water with the cayenne pepper and let stand for about 30 minutes. Strain the extract through cheesecloth or a coffee filter into a small jar and store at room temperature for up to 3 weeks. Makes about 2 ounces.
- Make the cocktail In a cocktail shaker, combine the Pimm’s, gin, Ginger Syrup, lime juice and Cayenne Extract. Fill the shaker with ice and shake well. Strain into a chilled, ice-filled collins glass and stir in the club soda. Garnish with the cucumber spear and mint sprig.
Ginger Syrup: In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar with 4 ounces water. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Add 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) minced fresh ginger and simmer over very low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool, then pour the syrup through a fine strainer into a jar. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 5 ounces.