- 1 1/4 cups cake flour, plus more for dusting
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped roasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon pearl sugar (see Note)
How to make this recipe
- In a food processor, combine the 1 1/4 cups of flour, the butter, granulated sugar and almond extract and pulse until a dough forms. Shape into a ball and flatten into a 1-inch-thick disk. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small bowl, beat the milk with the egg.
- Divide the cookie dough in half. On a lightly floured work surface, roll each piece of dough into a 3/4-inch-thick log. Brush the logs with the milk-egg wash and sprinkle with the almonds and pearl sugar. Cut the logs into 2-inch pieces and arrange on a parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until barely golden. Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool before serving.
The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for 3 days.
Note: Pearl sugar is available at specialty food stores and from kingarthurflour.com.