- Three 1/2-pint canning jars with lids and rings
- 1 1/4 pounds Black Mission figs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- Finely grated zest of 2 oranges
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup raw shelled pistachios
How to make this recipe
- Fill a large pot with water, cover and bring to a boil. Add the canning jars, lids and rings along with a set of tongs and a ladle and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes to sterilize. Cover the pot and turn off the heat.
- Set a metal rack in another large pot. Fill the pot with water, cover and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the figs with the sugar, orange zest and juice, lemon juice, cinnamon and cloves. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 3 cups, about 10 minutes. Stir in the pistachios.
- Using the sterilized tongs, remove the jars from the hot water and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Ladle the conserve into the jars, leaving 1/2 inch at the top. Using the tongs, place the lids on the jars followed by the rings. Screw on the lids securely but not too tightly.
- Using canning tongs, lower the jars into the boiling water of the pot with the rack at the bottom, making sure they are covered by at least 1 inch of water. Boil over high heat for 15 minutes. Using the canning tongs, transfer the jars to a rack to cool until the lids seal (they will look concave); refrigerate any jars that do not seal. Store the sealed jars in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.
Grilled bread with fresh ricotta.