Fiery Stir-Fried Iceberg Lettuce with Basil
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This is a great way to feature iceberg lettuce—it's juicy, spicy, crunchy and aromatic.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 head iceberg lettuce (1 pound), leaves torn into large pieces
- 1 Thai bird chile, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Asian fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped Thai basil
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the anchovies and garlic and stir-fry over moderately low heat until the anchovies dissolve, 2 minutes. Add the lettuce, chile and fish sauce and stir-fry until the lettuce is just wilted and coated in the sauce, 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Stir in half of the basil and transfer the lettuce mixture to a large platter. Garnish with the remaining basil and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.