Fideos with Chorizo and Chickpeas
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
This fast and deliciously flavored Spanish-style pasta is terrific as a meal-in–one, any night of the week.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 12 ounces Spanish spaghettini, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 5 ounces chorizo, thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup jarred marinated roasted red peppers, drained and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled Cotija or farmers’ cheese (2 ounces), optional
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the 1/4 cup of olive oil. Add the broken spaghettini and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the pasta is golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer the pasta to a plate. Add the sliced chorizo and onion to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the chorizo is browned and the onion is softened, about 7 minutes. Return the pasta to the skillet and stir in the chickpeas and sliced roasted peppers. Add the white wine and cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- In a very large measuring cup or pitcher, combine the tomato sauce with the chicken broth and season the mixture lightly with salt and black pepper. Add the tomato-broth mixture to the pasta 1 cup at a time, stirring over moderate heat until it is almost completely absorbed before adding more. Once all of the chicken broth has been absorbed, cover the skillet and let it stand off the heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the green olives and Cotija cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and serve right away.
Fruit-forward, medium-bodied Verdejo.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.