Fettuccine with Walnut-Parsley Pesto
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Plus: Pasta Recipes and Tips
- 3/4 cup walnut halves (3 ounces)
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, plus 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus shavings for garnish
- 1/2 pound fettuccine
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Toast the walnuts in a pie plate for 7 minutes, or until golden; let cool. Coarsely chop 1/4 cup of walnuts and transfer to a bowl; add the 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley and half of the grated Parmesan.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente; drain. In a mini food processor, pulse the remaining 1/2 cup of walnuts with the 1/4 cup of parsley leaves and the garlic until finely chopped. Add the remaining grated Parmesan cheese and the olive oil and process to a coarse puree. Season the pesto with salt and pepper.
- Return the pasta to the pot. Add the vegetable stock and butter and simmer until the liquid is nearly absorbed, 1 to 2 minutes. Off the heat, add the pesto and toss until combined. Transfer the pasta to a bowl, garnish with the walnut, parsley and Parmesan topping and Parmesan shavings and serve.