- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3/4 pound dried fettuccine
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, cut into 2-inch-wide florets with 3-inch stems
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese, plus more for serving
In a large skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until the nuts are golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the fettuccine until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water and drain the fettuccine.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in the skillet and add the broccoli. Cover and cook over moderate heat until browned on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Stir the broccoli, then add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the garlic and the crushed red pepper. Season the broccoli with salt and pepper and cook, stirring gently, until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Turn off the heat and cover.
Transfer the fettuccine to a warmed bowl and toss with the butter. Add the broccoli and the pasta cooking water and toss well. Sprinkle with the reserved pine nuts and the cheese and serve, passing more cheese at the table.