Fettuccine with Mushrooms and Prosciutto
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Plus: Pasta Recipes and Tips
- 1 pound fettuccine
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms, such as shiitake, cremini and oyster, stems trimmed, mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the fettuccine until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and prosciutto in an even layer, season with salt and pepper and cook undisturbed over moderately high heat until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender, about 3 minutes longer.
- Drain the fettuccine, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water. Add the fettuccine to the skillet. Stir in the mascarpone and the reserved pasta cooking water and toss the pasta over low heat until the sauce is creamy. Stir in the 1/4 cup of Parmesan and season the fettuccine with salt and pepper. Transfer the pasta to shallow bowls, sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve with extra Parmesan cheese.