Fennel Salad with Tarragon and Creamy Tapenade
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The Good News For this fennel salad's creamy tapenade, David Myers mixes fat-free fromage blanc—a fresh cow's-milk cheese and an excellent source of protein—with black olive tapenade. The luxurious result seems rich but is stealthily healthy. "It's the kind of daily special we'll serve at Comme Ça," he says.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 fennel bulbs (2 pounds)—halved, cored and shaved on a mandoline, fronds coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon black olive tapenade
- 1/3 cup nonfat fromage blanc or nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel pollen or finely ground fennel seeds
- In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice and season generously with salt and pepper. Add the shaved fennel and chopped tarragon and toss well.
- In a small bowl, stir the tapenade into the fromage blanc. Spread a thin layer of tapenade cream in the center of each plate. Mound the fennel salad on top and garnish with the chopped fennel fronds and fennel pollen. Serve right away.