- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 small fennel bulbs ( 3/4 pound each)—halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 plump leeks, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup shredded Pecorino Sardo or Pecorino Toscano cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced dill
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the fennel and leeks and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are sizzling and lightly browned, 13 to 15 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until nearly evaporated. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until melted. Add the dill, season with salt and pepper and serve.
The ragout can be refrigerated overnight. Rewarm and add the dill just before serving.