Fennel and Arugula Salad
- SERVINGS: 4
Terrific Green Salads
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound small mushrooms, stems trimmed, mushrooms halved
- 1/2 pound arugula, large stems discarded
- 1 large fennel bulb—halved lengthwise, trimmed and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup crumbled fresh goat cheese
- In a large bowl, mix 1/4 cup of the oil with the lemon juice, mustard, shallot and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, stirring, until any exuded liquid evaporates and the mushrooms are browned, about 8 minutes; keep warm.
- Add the arugula and fennel to the dressing in the bowl and toss well. Scatter the mushrooms over the salad, top with the goat cheese and serve at once.
With the salad, try a French Sancerre or one of New Zealand's Sauvignon Blancs.