Fennel and Aged Pecorino Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
This crisp salad combines fennel, scallions and parsley with shavings of sharp, salty aged pecorino cheese; the pecorino from the small Tuscan town of Pienza is especially tasty.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large fennel bulbs (2 pounds)—halved, cored and very thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 5 ounces aged pecorino, shaved (2 cups)
- In a large bowl, whisk the red wine vinegar and the olive oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Add the sliced fennel, scallions, parsley leaves and shaved pecorino and toss the salad gently. Transfer the salad to plates, garnish with the fennel fronds and serve right away.
Try the dish with a bottle of Vernaccia di San Gimignano, the classic, floral Tuscan white.